The Celebration of the Sacraments provides opportunities for reflection and renewal. Parents are required to take an active role in the faith journey of their child. Confirmation completes the grace of Baptism through an outpouring of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit initiating a full, rich faith life. Confirmation is one of the three (3) Sacraments of Initiation, along with Baptism and 1st Holy Communion.
Preparation for Confirmation is a three (3) year process. Formal instruction usually begins in the 9th Grade. The Confirmation program follows the guidelines provided by the Archdiocese.
SPONSORS are required for this Sacrament.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARENTS:
• Nurture the spiritual life of your child, including:
• Attend Mass EVERY Saturday or Sunday and all Holy Days of Obligation.
• Encourage, support, and affirm your child’s involvement in the Confirmation process.
• Encourage open discussion about what your child is learning.
• Participate in ALL orientations and parent conferences.
• Read the parent letters, emails, the Religious Education handbook, and review take-home materials.
• Ensure that your child is completing any required homework and mastering any required prayers.
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS:
• Must attend Mass EVERY Saturday or Sunday and all Holy Days of Obligation. The students will be required to keep a Mass journal all three (3) years.
• Must attend Religious Education class regularly. There are only three (3) unexcused absences allowed. Failure to attend may result in repeat of the grade or delay in receiving the Sacrament. Three (3) tardies equal one unexcused absence.
• Must attend ALL the retreats. Missing the mandatory retreats or failure to attend Mass may result in a delay in the reception of the sacrament.
• Community service hours are required all three (3) years.
• First year (1st) students will be required to obtain a sponsor. They must be in good standing with the Church and will be someone who will mentor them through this process.
• Second year (2nd) students will be asked to research saints in order to choose a Patron Saint for their guidance. They will be required to turn in a report and present it in class.
Please contact the Religious Education office for more information.